At this time, I haven’t signed the deal. I’m waiting on details from one more person before I make my decision.
I think it is a good sign that so many originally unhappy people, like Michael Stackpole, have been won over where it matters: the contract terms. Skyhorse/Start didn’t come to the table to be cruel or unusual. In fact, the boilerplate we saw initially would not be out of place at a major publishing house. What is unusual is that they acted in good faith to amend the deal presented, and alter the contract terms for everyone.
Regardless of whether I sign or not, I feel very positively about Skyhorse/Start and their future in SF/F. Pleasing authors goes a long way towards a bright future in genre. Their good faith actions to adjust their contract terms have proven they are serious about this deal, and are trying to do more good than harm. No one can blame a business for trying to make a profit in a difficult climate, like print publishing, but the escalators indicate that maybe authors can also look forward to a piece of the action once that initial payment to clear Night Shade’s copious debts clears into the black.
There’s one thing I’d still like, and I’m waffling because of it. It is such a small detail that it doesn’t merit mentioning. Also, I haven’t heard back from my own legal counsel on the contract, and anytime bankruptcy is rearing a stink, it’s time to get legal advice from someone, even if you’re trying to prevent bankruptcy.
Everyone’s situation is different, and I don’t think anyone should feel pressure to take the deal, either way, and I know I’m still researching the complexity of my own situation. This is actually not as simple as “deal/no deal” because what is best for each individual author depends on a lot of different, totally personal, circumstances.
Regardless, if you would like to influence my future as an author in a positive direction, pick up a couple of these bad boys, and share them with your friends, because as I mentioned yesterday, this book had a rough time getting born, and may not be long for this world regardless of the outcome of the pending asset transfer: